Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mickelberry Family Shoot

Two days ago I had one of the scariest moments yet as a parent. My son and I were out enjoying the February sunshine. I was walking down the sidewalk while Asher rode his bike right next to me. I pulled out my phone to make a quick call to my sister and that is when things took a turn for the worse. Asher, while doing well as a beginning rider, started to pick up speed on our little hill. I didn’t realize he couldn’t stop until he was too far out of my grasp. Forgetting that I was leaving a message on my sister’s voice-mail I began sprinting down the hill after my terrified son. His heartbreaking cries for his dad still ring in my ear and I could do nothing but watch as he hopped the curb and had his first big wipe-out on his bike. Miraculously there were no large injuries, just a little scratch on his knee and forehead. I think both of us were more scared than anything else. I just held him there in the street as his cries faded and soon he looked at me and said “That was freaky dad!” I could do nothing else but laugh and then we were both smiling and giggling.

While this particular situation ended with laughter there are plenty of others that will come ending with questions, frustrations and pains. Sometimes there will be answers and other times all I will be able to do is sit with Asher and reassure him he is loved even though he is feeling a pain he struggles to communicate. I’m only guessing here, but I think Annsimone Mickelberry has walked this road and come away with wisdom to be shared.

I met up with Annsimone, her two children and her sister’s family to do a shoot at the Clackamas Town Center a couple weeks back. The second I met her I was intrigued. As you can see from the following pictures, she has a full sleeve tattoo down her left arm, a ring through her bottom lip and some purple worked into her bangs. Our world easily dismisses people on the basis of appearance. As a result I used to easily dismiss people based on their appearance, but that really said more about me than those I was judging. In recent years I’ve learned that outward appearance is merely the cover of an amazing book wrapped up in each individual.  I love listening to people’s stories and Annsimone wears her story on her sleeve (literally). It turns out that she is writing a children’s book that focuses on walking through the loss of a loved one. The early stages of the writing process are quite intimidating. You have to open yourself up to some heavy criticism each time you submit your work. And each rejection can seem as though they are rejecting you. After sitting and talking with Annsimone and her family I am certain I only got to see a glimpse of what makes her who she is. I do know that she will be able to weather the storm as she continues to submit her work and chase her dream. I know this because as I looked into the eyes of her kids, talked with them, played with them, and photographed them I saw two kids that were truly happy. Happy children are a product of love and security both of which have been given to Harley and Gunner. Godspeed Annsimone as you chase your dream and thank you for giving me a glimpse of the story that is your life! 







1 comment:

  1. Aww. Thank you Garrett. We had a wonderful time meeting you and your family. We too were impressed by the amazing work you and your wife participate in, in every aspect of your shared life it seems.

    I have to admit I am really struggling keeping my chin up through the rejection process. I am trying to find humor in it, and know that, if God finds need for this book to be published in some manner it will be.

    I've learned a lot in regards to outward appearance and true self throughout my own struggles in life. I hope to always allow myself the opportunity to see the "true picture."

    Best Regards!
    Annsimone

    ReplyDelete